Tuesday, May 20, 2014

An introduction and Hush, Hush (book 1)

Welcome!! My name is Sara and I felt it was time I joined the book blogging community. I started out the 2014 year promising myself I would read more books this year than last year. Last year I read 28 books. That doesn't sound like much but for someone who read as a minor hobby, I considered that a good number. I set my 2014 goal at 35 books and to date I am at 29. Hooray! I still feel that is a great accomplishment considering I hold down a full time job and have a house with a boyfriend and two cats.

I nestled into YA books after reading the Divergent series last summer. I have realized that YA books today are better than most other fiction books so I fell in love. One series that caught my eye as a To Be Read is the Hush, Hush series by Becca Fitzpatrick. In my first post I am going to go through book one.

Hush, Hush - Book 1

I feel hard for the cover of this book. I mean hard. I have a soft spot for books about angels and this reeled me in. The cover was AMAZING and I hoped the story of Patch and Nora would be just as awesome. Little did I know that wasn't the case.

This series is the story of Nora and Patch. Nora is an average American teenager in the middle of nowhere Maine. Her life changes when she meets the dark and mysterious Patch. Patch is a fallen angel that nobody seems to know anything about but know he is amazingly hot. Nora's bestest friend ever is Vee Sky. Vee has her moments but they tend to lean more towards annoying than anything and over dramatic most of the time.

Nora and Patch get to know each other over a Science project, but it quickly grows in to so much more. Nora has an unexplained attraction towards Patch, which he clearly feels the same towards her.  The mystery in the book surrounds Patch's history. The author doesn't ever give too much away about what he's gone through or what he has done since he fell from Heaven. Patch has a weakness for Nora and falls quickly for her. He opens up to tell her about his intentions and just enough about himself to keep her (and the reader) intrigued.

I inhaled this book. I wanted to know what was going on so badly I read it in one day. (Not a bad way to spend a Saturday!) I felt a little empty when Hush, Hush ended because it didn't really give me the information I needed or wanted about the overall story. I had to wait until page 300 (of 387) to find out about Patch being a fallen angel and a small glimpse of what he has gone through. That was frustrating for me. I wanted there to be more substance during the entire story but there just wasn't. I nearly lost interest before it got to the point. I kept reading because I figured I would get to read some of Patch's back story at some point, little did I know it would be so close to the end.

On a scale of 1 to 5, I gave this book a 3. Maybe 3.5 but that is pushing it. It did hook me into reading book 2, Silence, so I suppose that was a good thing. If you would like a quick read then this would be a good book. If you want a stand alone book and want to not start a series, skip this one for now.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment