Friday, May 30, 2014

Book Review - Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick



After quickly going through the first book, Hush, Hush, I started Crescendo with moderate expectations. I have to admit I was very surprised! I was hoping for something better, just look at that cover!! A book with a cover like that has to be good.

The story actually kept me interested for longer than a chapter. Granted, I skipped the parts where Nora dialogues herself with a bunch of stupid questions the audience has already though about.

In this story Nora has found out that Patch is a fallen angel turned her guardian angel and some of the consequences that came from being on the outs with Heaven. She has more and more interaction with her mortal enemy - Marcy Millar. Marcie is a rather nasty character that seems to go overboard with her hate for Nora. The back history of the rival is not ever explained so just know it is there. An old childhood friend comes back into Nora's life, Scott Parnell. Scott is another bad egg that you just want to hate. I mean, he is a jerk.

All of these characters intermingle rather well and the story flows. I wasn't left questioning, "What the heck just happened?" Or "Why would they do that?? Why??" I had to remember that the overall storyline is Nora and Patch. Nora is fighting to be with Patch and Patch is fighting to protect her from the world. The chemistry between them is really good to read but always over too quickly. Always keep in mind this is a YA book so it doesn't get over complicated between the two characters. They don't do anything more than kiss and make out.

There were two things that annoyed me more than anything:

1. Nora's inner monologue. She is always thinking the same series of questions to herself. I skipped a lot of this monologue.
2. Why is Nora's mom never home?! I mean NEVER. Yes, she is trying to make a living but it seems like she threw her daughter into adulthood quickly. I hope she realizes she won't win Mother of the Year anytime soon.

On a scale of 1 to 5, I give this book a 4. I liked it a lot better than the first book and hope the rest of the series continues to improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment