Saturday, June 7, 2014

Book Review - The Elite by Kiera Cass

The Elite by Kiera Cass

The basis of this book:

Amanda Singer has made it to the next level of The Selection process and one step closer to possibly being a princess, she is now part of the top four, The Elite. America is having a difficult time opening up because her heart is still with Aspen, her ex-boyfriend from back home, who also happens to be a guard at the palace. Things at the palace aren't always fun and games as the contestants are starting to turn on one another, the castes are worse than ever with people still suffering, the king starts to show just how much he dislikes America, and the palace is almost always under attack from rebels. America is still her strong, stubborn self which causes her to always be on the edge of being sent home. Will she make it to the end and become Prince Maxon's bride?

My overall take of this book:

I really liked this book. I was cheering for America to make it to the Elite round of the contest and calm down a little bit. At times it seems she was just too stubborn or reacted differently to be the one who stood out. I was hoping that for just once she would slow down and do what she is told. I am all for being true to yourself and being individual but it almost seemed too much. 

The flow of the story went very well. I didn't find myself bored or asking when it would be over. I believed how well the characters interacted with each other and the emotions that flowed between America and Maxon. I wasn't left feeling as if there were questions that wouldn't be answered in the third book.What did bother me a little bit was how much America was hanging on to her relationship with Aspen. Why wouldn't she let that go? Why was she always trying to hang on to that when it wasn't the best thing for either? I wanted her to stop leading him on, bottom line. She leads him on a lot and that can become irritating. 

I gave this book 3.5 starts out of 5. Again, I liked how it flowed, the character development, and how it felt like a somewhat light-hearted story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment