Sunday, June 8, 2014

Book Review - The One by Kiera Cass


The One by Kiera Cass

The basis of the book:

The Selection changed America Singer's life in ways she never could have imagined. Since she entered the competition to become the next princess of Illéa, America has struggled with her feelings for her first love, Aspen--and her growing attraction to Prince Maxon. Now she's made her choice . . . and she's prepared to fight for the future she wants.

Excerpt from Goodreads

 My thoughts on the book:

So. Many. FEELS! Will Prince Maxon choose America or will she ruin her chances by being too head-strong? She wants to stay true to herself but will it cost her everything?? And will she finally let go of Aspen?! So many questions that were finally answered!

Aspen... *sigh* I felt she hung on to that a lot longer than she should have. Aspen dumped her in book one, magically appeared at the palace as a guard, and made sure he was still in her life. I wish America wouldn't have lead him on as long as she did and he would have taken the hint sooner. That constant story line made me roll my eyes a little. I know, it added a depth to the story but it seemed too much. America had enough going on without him adding to the trouble.

Maxon... I was pulling for him to just be happy. Poor guy was tormented by his father, had the nation judging his every move, and women fighting to be the princess because they wanted the crown - not him. That sounds like a rough upbringing, not glamorous at all. 

America... She certainly was head-strong and stubborn. She had the best of intentions but didn't always think too clearly or think things through. (Uh... Diary, anyone?) 

I felt the last few chapters might have been rushed because it seems everything was suddenly over. Meaning Maxon made his decision and then a wedding was happening. What happened to the rebels? What happened to Maxon's plans to eliminate he castes? It left me with some unanswered questions, but only a couple. Overall I really liked the book and would probably read the series again in the future. 

I give this book 4 stars out of 5; the overall series 4 out of 5 stars. I would suggest this book/series to anyone and everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment